Cacao Barry®, the premium French chocolate brand, has announced an all-star lineup of judges to help determine the Chocolatier of the Year 2013 in the 3rd annual L’Art du Chocolatier™ Challenge. Five of the world’s best pastry chefs have been selected to award the coveted title.
L’Art du Chocolatier™ Challenge is a spectacle of chocolate mastery as chefs display their artistry and talents using the French premium brand. Judging at this level of competition also requires considerable technical and creative expertise. Canadian chocolatier Christophe Morel will act as head judge of the competition and the complete list of judges responsible for choosing the Chocolatier of the Year is as follows:
- John Krauss, Proprietor and Chef, Patisserie 46, Minneapolis, MN
- Jerome Landrieu, Cacao Barry Technical Advisor & Director of the Barry Callebaut Chocolate Academy™ Center Chicago, Illinois
- Frédéric Moreau, Cacao Barry Ambassador & Executive Pastry Chef, The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort, Dana Point, CA
- Christophe Morel, Master Chocolatier, “Christophe Morel”, and Cacao Barry Ambassador, Canada
- Josep Maria Ribé, Technical Advisor, Chocolate Academy™ Center, Gurb, Spain
As announced in December, a nationwide search of top pastry chefs across the United States culminated in the selection of the following five contestants:
- Romain Fournel, Assistant Pastry Chef, Jean-Philippe Pâtisserie, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Kei Hasegawa, Pastry Chef, Matsuhisa Restaurant, Beverly Hills, California
- Jérôme Jacob, Assistant Pastry Chef, Bellagio Resort Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Santosh Tiptur, Executive Pastry Chef, Co Co. Sala Restaurant and Chocolate Boutique, Washington, D.C.
- Sean Pera, Pastry Cook, The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary, N.C.
The finalists will compete in the event, May 17-18, 2013 at the state-of-the-art Barry Callebaut CHOCOLATE ACADEMY™ Center in Chicago for the chance to be crowned Chocolatier of the Year 2013 and a chance to win up to $12,000 in cash and prizes. Chefs who wish to attend and view the competition as well as the reception can RSVP in advance with their name to CacaoBarryLADC@barry-callebaut.com.